Saturday 13 December 2008
I met (or got to see) MP at his book signing today (12/13/08) in Baltimore at the Barnes & Noble at Inner Harbor. My friends and I got there around 0930AM and one side of the second floor was already filled up. So, my friend and I gave my roommate and her boyfriend all of our stuff to hold because we were not going to be able to keep it when going into the signing area. (Think airport security.)

All I had with me when we got in line was myself and my book. My wristband number was 175 so I figured that I was at a good spot. There were a lot of Cub Scouts around because they had had a campout at the aquarium last night; there were a lot of older couples there and then tons of teenagers. Everyone was really friendly and the staff was excellent. There was a PA system announcement what felt like every 3 minutes telling everyone about the rules of the signing (Think flight attendant's demonstration over and over and over again) Michael arrived shortly before 1230 and we all knew because all of the girls started screaming.

There was a lady that checked your book and your wristband and then you were allowed to the other side of the store (Think flight attendant checking your boarding pass) The line moved very quickly because he was only signing his name and one person was allowed a maximum of two books. People were standing on chairs and bookcases trying to get a picture of him away from the signing area (I was pretty upset that I didn't think about keeping my camera for that purpose). Once we finally got through to the last bit of bookcases before the signing area, there was a Baltimore police officer and a B&N employee waiting for you.

They took everything you had in line away from you besides yourself and the book. Then a lady checked the book and wristband again (Think flight attendant assisting you in finding your seat). Then you handed your book to a man who then handed your book to another man who then gave your book to MP. When MP was signing your book you were to stand at the far edge of the table and wait until he handed your book to a lady who then handed it to you. When it was finally my turn and the book passing finally got to MP, he first shook his head because of all the PSU (Penn State University) stuff I was wearing (For those who don't know, U of M and PSU are big rivals in the Big 10 conference). He then smiled at me and asked me how I was doing. I said fine and thanked him for signing my book and then I was rushed out of the signing area (so fast I thought there was a fire).

Once out of the signing area, people collected their stuff , but since my friends had all of my stuff I waited until my other friend was done getting her book signed. Then I was bombarded by a B&N employee who proceeded to cut off my wrist band (I was pretty upset about this because I was going to keep that as a souvenir). I then rushed over to the second line which was the picture line where you could get a picture of MP signing someone else's book. That was the only way you could get a picture (So I have a lovely picture of an older woman getting her book signed by MP…what memories!) Oh yeah, DP and Hilary were also there. They were sitting at a table right near MP. They were having conversations with the B&N employees and all looked to be having fun. (I didn't know they were going to be there so it was pretty exciting to see them too) Besides all the rules and regulations, the day was absolutely amazing! The only thing I would change would be more time with MP and a picture of me with him and not the older lady whoever she may be. He was talking about the Ravens and college football, so I believe that he is just how he seems in all the interviews, books and everything else about him. This was a great way to end at great year! And after being a fan of MP for the last 8 years, I can now say that I have met (or at least spoken to) Michael Phelps.
posted by KNR at 15:51 |



3 Comments:

At 13 December 2008 at 18:28, Anonymous Anonymous said........
you are so lucky !!!!!
 



At 14 December 2008 at 14:04, Anonymous Anonymous said........
DUDEEE.

I'm super jealous!

So were you allowed to bring a camera for a pic or did they not allow it?
 



At 14 December 2008 at 14:25, Blogger KNR said........
Since Renae isn't on I can answer that... they were VERY strict. Wouldn't allow phones or cameras near the table. She was however, able to snap pictures while she was waiting for her friends. :) -K